Better Sleep with Yoga
May 6 (Sunday) at 2:00 pm
2 hours 15 minutes
This is a one-day only specialty workshop, BETTER SLEEP WITH YOGA.
Yoga is an incredibly powerful tool to help release gripping of the body and racing of the mind and, instead, make systematic relaxation a daily habit. This prepares the body-mind to let go into deeper states of calmness, stillness, rest, and then restful sleep.
This workshop teaches tension-relieving warm-ups and standing yoga postures, restorative yoga techniques to calm and still both body and mind, and precise breathing practices that encourage rest, relaxation, and better sleep.
Together we will practice a sequence that helps you slowly, gently, and incrementally let go to prepare the whole being to settle into a deeper rest. This lesson includes supine warm-ups on the floor, active standing postures, LOTS of forward folds, chest and shoulder openers, and then rounds out with restorative postures on the floor that are supported with luxurious yoga props and then passively held so the body incrementally softens any gripping and relaxes into openness of hips, shoulders, and deeper breathing.
Once you are fully relaxed, you will be guided through three different systematic relaxation practices that merge breathing techniques alongside concentration and visualization exercises.
We’ll review precise meditation techniques that help unwind and soothe a racing mind, including an approach of “Witness Consciousness” as well as a quieting “Moon Meditation.” These are incredibly simple, and perfect for even those new to meditation.
Also included is a detailed study sheet; it includes lots of tips, resources, as well as illustrations and instructions of a specific sequence so you can remember what we did in class, refine these healthy habits at home, and cultivate the long-term benefits of these practices. It even includes some ayurvedic (the sister science of yoga) tips and a recipe for a warm drink to help you prepare for a restful night.
This special workshop is suitable for all levels; no prior experience is necessary. It does require that you can get up and down from the floor easily and without assistance, and that the knees are comfortable enough to bear weight on the hands and knees for a few practices.
Please BRING A YOGA MAT. If you use a shared studio mat, please note there is a $2 rental fee and it is your responsibility to sanitize it after each use (cleaning supplies provided). All other props (bolsters, blankets, blocks, hand weights, eye pillows, straps, etc) are provided; if you have preferred personal props, feel free to bring those. And come with an open mind, and ready to relax!
Purchase of the tuition pass below for "BETTER SLEEP WITH YOGA" confirms your agreement to the following Terms & Conditions of Registration & Attendance, as well as the Waiver and Release:
- If you have any medical concerns, injuries, allergies, are pregnant, or have any changes in such conditions, it is your duty & responsibility to inform your teacher prior to class.
- Disclaimer: THIS WORKSHOP IS NOT INTENDED FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT, DIAGNOSIS, OR CARE. Always consult your healthcare provider before practicing yoga or any other exercise program. The information provided is intended for educational purposes only, and not as a substitute for medical advice or treatment. The author, illustrator, editor, and publisher assume no responsibility for injuries or harm that may result from practicing yoga, pranayama (breathing practices), meditation, or any other wellness or exercise program.
- Your place is held only upon receipt of tuition payment ($30 or $25 Early Bird).
- Payments for this Yoga class is non-refundable, unless your class is taken off the weekly schedule due to low enrollment, dire teacher emergency, or unavoidable natural disaster. You can transfer your pass to a friend if you need to cancel.
- There are no pro-rated tuition fees for absences and no make-up classes for missed sessions.
- Payments for this course are not transferable to a future class, series, term, or event. All passes expire the day of this workshop.
- Advise your teacher with 24-hours advance notice if you are unable to attend (text message is preferred).
- The teacher holds the right to cancel or reschedule any classes, sessions, or events due to extreme illness or emergencies. Students will be notified of the rescheduled date and every attempt will be made to accommodate each student’s schedule.
- Credit-debit payments are completed online. Cash or check (made out to “AHA Yoga”) is paid in person or mailed (AHA Yoga, 305 East Duval St., Suite 101, Lake City, FL 32055).
- Turn off or put all cell phones on silent.
- Do not leave valuable personal items in your vehicle; personal items may be stored in the prop room.
- Words and energy matter! This is your time to turn inward, and much care has been given to cultivating a sacred space. You and your colleagues are doing deep work when you undertake yoga. Please be respectful of your peers and teacher and maintain the calm, peaceful space. This means this is not the time for gossip, complaining, or leftover conversations from work. Take this time and space to breathe and transition into your deeper practice and allow your best self to shine. It is also particularly important for this class that you are respectful of a calm, quiet, and peaceful demeanor, movements, speech, and sound; move props quietly so as not to disturb others. Speak quietly and take loud conversations outside.
- Please take your shoes off at the door of the studio to keep the floor clean and sanitary.
- BRING YOUR YOGA MAT. If you use a shared studio mat, please note there is a $2 rental fee and it is your responsibility to sanitize it after each use (cleaning supplies provided).
- Be on your mat and ready to go at the starting time.
- It’s best not to eat one hour prior to yoga; for some people, 2 hours are required.
- If anything can be done to make your experience more comfortable, secure, and successful, please let your teacher know (temperature, bathroom needs attention, you need to leave early, special concern, etc.). Suggestions to improve your yoga & meditation experience are always welcome.
- A separate Waiver & Release and Terms & Conditions must be completed and signed prior to practice on your first day (unless you are a returning student and have already signed this). Hard copies are available at the studio.
These policies allow me to continue offering you the best possible yoga teachings I can and ensure our community runs smoothly. Should you prefer to pay in cash or check, let me know. Connect with me if you have any questions! I would love to hear from you and look forward to practicing with you and sharing this wonderful practices soon.
--Virginia Hill, AHA Yoga Teacher
P.S. Want to learn more about what is going on at AHA Yoga in Lake City? Then follow the link here. Interested in knowing about your teacher and her qualifications and interests? Then check that info out here or read an article from our local Currents Magazine here.
Want to be on the VIP community list to be the first to hear about upcoming events and specials? Then join out mailing list here to stay in the know about upcoming opportunities, tips and more. :)
See you on the mat!
Sorry - that class has already taken place!