CLASS DATES: 11/1, 11/8, 11/15 & 11/29 (No Class 11/22)
Class Time: 6pm
Location: UPTFC Main Facility (5400 N. Damen Ave.)
Instructor: Pamela Davis
Age Requirements: Dogs of any age are welcome in this class.
Tug It, Fetch It, Drop It is a fun, high-energy, repeatable four-week class for dogs of all ages and their humans to learn how to PLAY and TRAIN with TOYS! The first goal of the class is for each team to develop and troubleshoot their Tug and Fetch games. This includes:
- wait for permission to play - no grabbing!
- bring the toy back - all the way!
- release the toy when asked - to restart the game!
Teams will be coached individually on physical mechanics and exercises to improve both the FUN and SAFETY of their toy play. Depending on each team's skills and progress, other topics may be introduced. Toys are a great way to train obedience behaviors like Leave it and Stay, build impulse control, strengthen recalls, and teach a dog to listen and think when they're excited.
Who is this class for?
- Dogs and puppies of all ages are welcome!
- Toy interest is really the only prerequisite - dogs who are completely uninterested in chasing a moving toy won't get much out of this class.
- Kids 6 and up are welcome to observe but only adults will be playing in class.
- If your dog has shown conflict behaviors around toys (eg stiff growling, snapping, biting), please check in with the instructor prior to registering for this class to make sure we can provide a safe environment for you and your pup!
How will this class work?
- Teams will take turns playing in a secure area, one at a time, similar to a sports class. Humans will be able to watch and learn from everyone, but the dogs will not be visible to each other.
- Crates will be provided! Please bring a long-duration food item (such as a bully stick or lickimat) to help your dog settle between turns.
What will I need?
- Each team will start with a matched pair of two identical tug toys, at least 8 inches long. Squeakers are allowed for this class. Other types of toys may be discussed and added as needed.
- Also please bring 25-30 pea-sized training treats (you may or may not need them) and a long-lasting food item for crating (such as a bully stick or lickimat).
- All items will be available for purchase at the Training and Fitness Center!